I've often mentioned that some people just shouldn't be entitled to having the privilege of being parents. Sharon Wessel is one of those people.
On December 24th, her 11 year old daughter received second and third degree burns from a propane heater which was being used to warm their otherwise unheated home. The child had been standing next to the heater, when her pjs caught fire, undoubtably causing the child extreme pain. In fact, the pain was so severe that almost three weeks later, she was screaming in pain from the burns when a neighbor heard her cries and called police. Upon their arrival, they called for medical assistance- in what was the FIRST attempt to give the child proper treatment since the accident.
The girl was transported to Wishard Memorial Hospital and then Riley Hospital For Children on Tuesday. Police said she had to be carried from the home because she could not walk. The girl's mother told police she used moisturizer to try to help heal the burns.
"There was no way she was not in pain every day and there was no way that any type of treatment that they used on her would not cause serious pain," said Detective Genae Gehring.
Sharon Wessel, 35, told Rinehart that she was sorry as she was being arrested on Wednesday.
Heather Wessel underwent surgery on Wednesday. She was last listed in critical condition. Doctors told police it's possible she could lose her legs.
Moisturizer? For second and third degree burns? That was the BEST she could come up with? I suppose, given that Wessel allowed a convicted child molester to share a home with her two children- that we really shouldn't be shocked at the level of depravity this woman must have, but still- I can't even fathom anyone believing that simple moisturizer would actually replace medical treatment for that sort of injury.
Fredrick and Sharon Wessel were each preliminarily charged with one count of felony child neglect resulting in serious bodily injury.