The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.

~~~ Albert Einstein

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Update on children found dead in freezer

A case previously posted here, has continued to develop as the investigation into the lives of the children, and their deaths has provided more information to police.

The sole surviving child was able to escape Renee Bowman's home by jumping out of a window. A neighbor found the little girl with blood on her shirt and clearly in need of assistance and took her to another home where police were called. The neighbor also ordered food for the child after learning she had not eaten recently. The child was described as being barefoot, having bruises all over her body, "extensive open, infected sores and lesions" and "eyes scarred in the corners."

Police found the remains of the other two children in the freezer while investigating the condition of the first child.

Montgomery County police Lt. Paul Starks said investigators are working on the premise that Renee Bowman's two adopted daughters were killed while the family was living in Rockville. Bowman's former landlord there told police the family moved away in November

Because all three children were in foster care provided by Bowman, she was able to adopt the children, and because they were considered 'special needs' by the state- she was able to rake in $2400 a month despite the horrid conditions the children were forced to live in.

Bowman was a foster mother to the three girls before adopting them in 2001 and 2004.

"There is pressure across the board to get those adoption numbers up," Richard Wexler, executive director of the National Coalition for Child Protection Reform, said Tuesday. "My question is: Did the D.C. workers have the time to look at it case by case?"

After adopting the three "special needs" children - a broad category that includes any child over age 5 - Bowman received a monthly stipend of about $2,400 from a federal program for adoptive parents, D.C. Acting Attorney General Peter Nickles said. He said Bowman apparently was being paid even after the children had died.