The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.

~~~ Albert Einstein



Thursday, June 05, 2008

Cinque Terre

She may have appeared to be nothing more than a love sick anonymous blogger on Xanga, but in reality Cinque Terre was Colleen McGraham of Staten Island's New Dorp High School. And her object of affection was a male student in her class.

Why do the tears always come? My feelings for him are so strong and I can't say or do anything ...

Today at one point he was standing behind me so close I could feel the heat from his body radiate to me. I wanted to just let myself go, lean backwards and sink into him ...

I feel powerless to stop ...

Sometimes I am feeling so much, and missing him so much, I feel like I can't breathe ....

I hate you. I hate that you make me feel like this ...

You are killing me ...

Why, why, why won't my heart give up? ...

I don't know what is going to happen to me. It hurts so much ...


That was just one portion of her blogs shared by the Daily News in a recent article in which they attempt to explain why the woman continued to have a job with the school for three years- despite the fact that her relationship with said student has been public information since 2005.
Tweet tweet tweet. Well, like we said, this case has been going on since mid-2005, when the Education Department filed charges against McGraham. Last year, an arbitrator ruled she was guilty of serious misconduct. The stern punishment he ordered: a 90-day suspension without pay.

The finding that McGraham was fit to remain in the classroom perfectly illustrates the excessive job protections held by city teachers. Short of a serious felony conviction, virtually anything goes.

Which is why Klein has been forced to keep almost 700 allegedly dangerous or incompetent teachers on the payroll while allowing them to idle for years in so-called rubber rooms.

Evidently, tenure and a strong union helped her keep her paycheck, despite overwhelming evidence that this woman should be barred from every coming near a class room again.

Today my thoughts were of a salacious nature," McGraham blogged about the boy in May 2005 under her online pseudonym Cinque Terre. "I can't wait to see him, but I also feel nervous. How will we be with each other?"

"Why, why, why won't my heart give up," McGraham wrote the next month. "My head tells me I have to let it go. It is destroying me."

In the same post, McGraham said she got into two minor accidents while driving - including one where she backed into a pole - because she couldn't stop fantasizing about the 15-year-old student.

"My heart refuses to let go," she wrote.

Two wrecks? Are you kidding me? Even as a teenager I never found myself wrecking because I was too busy thinking about a boy.

More on this, here and here, if you can stomach it.

HT Trench.