The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.

~~~ Albert Einstein



Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Things I didn't think I would see...

I've talked before about Derek Kimball. He was convicted of sexually abusing a young girl over a period of time, and sentenced for those crimes. To really understand the heinous nature of his crimes, I suggest you read the link above. In a shortened story- he and a friend both sexually abused a very young girl- the conviction of the friend lead to public outcry after the judge in the case handed down a barely there sentence. Kindall's case was almost completely hushed even after his conviction... but that doesn't wipe away the horrible damage his crimes inflicted.

I only mention him now, because I was thinking of the case the other night, and wanted an update on it- so I did a little searching. The results I got, well they were a little more than unsettling.

It seems that Kimball has decided to enlighten the free (as in not in prison) world with a 'wanted ad' on a Inmate website.

My name is Derek Kimball. I'm 5' 9" tall, brown hair, goatee, hazel eyes and 160 lbs. Some of the things I enjoy doing in here are drawing (making cards), and listening to the radio.
[...]
I am a very nice person that loves to joke around and I am looking for some female pen pals to write to because I love to write & get mail. Hope to hear from you soon!


I suppose someone suggested that he not add "I also enjoy sexually abusing innocent children" to his list of interests.

Honestly, I'm not one to say that all inmates should be kept from interacting with the public via mail- but in this case- I'm just sickened. And tempted to write my own version of his want ad, although I doubt they'd be willing to switch it out for the one he has posted now.