The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil,
but because of those who look on and do nothing.

~~~ Albert Einstein



Monday, October 10, 2005

NY Sex Offender Registry

Doing a look up on the last post- I headed over to the NY State Sex Offender Registry. Hadn't been there before, but I must say I found it interesting. Evidently to use the system you must provide your information. Name, Address, etc. It's not a bad idea.

First off people can lie- (I did not, so you NY justice people don't need to get your pants in a wedgie) but other than that- I can see the usefulness of it. Let's face it, it should provide a nice list of people to look at if sex offenders in NY begin to be knocked off. Second, it gives a responsible thought to how the information is going to be used. I'm less likely to borrow images off their site now that they know who I am. And any sex offender seeking out possible partners in crime room mates, are less likely to use the database to find qualified candidates.

On another note, the NY sex offender site is rather nice. It's a bit more easily accessed by way of navigation, although Florida wins the award for being most helpful in giving fuller history, details of these monsters. I most likely will be looking around at other states databases and providing my thoughts on them in terms of navigation, and usefulness. So be prepared for a intensive "investigative" report on the nations best/worst sex offender databases in the near future.