RICHEY TO GRAND JURY IN PUTNAM COUNTYA Scotland native whose death penalty conviction was overturned after 18 years on Ohio's death row will face a new attempt to be charged in the death of a 2-year-old girl, a county prosecutor announced Thursday. The decision means that , who has U.S.-British citizenship, likely will remain in jail while the prosecutor seeks a new trial. Supporters in Britain have campaigned for his release after documentary filmmakers raised numerous inconsistencies surrounding the case and investigation. Richey's story drew the attention of the prime minister of England and the support of Pope John Paul II. Putnam County Prosecutor Gary Lammers said he thinks there is enough evidence to seek new charges against Richey and that he will ask a grand jury to return indictments against him. If so, Richey will be returned to Putnam County to await trial, by September 1st. Richey's brother Steven says he welcomes the chance for a new trial---that there is overwhelming evidence in his brother's defense. Richey, who grew up in Scotland and became a British citizen while in prison, was convicted of setting a fire that killed a 2-year-old girl on June, 30, 1986, in the northwest Ohio town of Columbus Grove. Prosecutors said he started the fire to get even with his former girlfriend, Kandice Barchet, who lived below. The toddler who lived upstairs, Cynthia Collins, died. He has maintained he's innocent and turned down an offer to plead guilty to murder - a deal that would have allowed him to be out of prison by now. He was convicted of aggravated murder and sentenced to death. He came within an hour of being executed 10 years ago and was down to his final appeals when a federal appeals court in January ruled 2-1 that Richey received incompetent legal counsel. The court ordered the state to retry him or release him. State prosecutors are fighting Richey's release plan to appeal that court ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Source The Richey Campaign Website
Thursday, 30 June 2005Kenny and I along with the Richey family and supporters are relieved that at last there has been a decision from Gary Lammers the prosecutor. A retrial is what Kenny has wanted all these years and what we have been fighting for.
Now Kenny finally gets his day in court. A day that is 19 long years overdue.
We welcome a new trial. This is what this campaign has always been about. It was never about simply just freeing him. Freedom on its own is not enough. If it had been, Kenny would have accepted the deals offered to him but he wouldnt, he refused steadfastly. This campaign has been about getting the truth out and true justice being served for Kenny and also for little Cynthia Collins.
Kenny's original trial was farcical, this time the record will be set straight and Kenny's entire defence will be heard in court for the first time.
Kenny will have a jury, competent attorneys, and experts and witnesses to defend him.
Something which was sadly lacking in his first trial. None of this will be lacking this time. Kenny has the most wonderful attorneys and they are dedicated to fighting for justice and truth.
The truth will set Kenny free and will show that he is an innocent man to everyone.
That is what Kenny has fought for and that is what this campaign is about.
We look forward to Kenny being vindicated at long last.
Me, again. Interested in seeing the finial out come of such a tragic situation. I should say, that even though I have many many views on almost every thing possible- I for a long time have been stumped by this one. Honestly- if he did set the fire, even if he didn't know there was a child in there... he should be dead already. If he truly didn't to it- we have stolen almost 20 years of his life.